12/12/2012

PUNK ANTERIORS: GENEALOGY, THEORY, PERFORMANCE


18 months in the making: Punk Anteriors: Genealogy, Theory, Performance, a special double issue of Women & Performance: a journal of feminist theory has been published.

I've mentioned a few times over the past year that I would have a big announcement to make, eventually. I submitted my article "'Freakin' Out': Remaking Masculinity through Punk in Detroit" to the editorial board of Punk Anteriors back in July 2011 and have been diligently working on edits in between peer reviews and board reviews, and reviews of reviews. Finally, it's gone to print!

My article is a 21-page piece that riffs off of themes found in my Master's Thesis, which I wrote for the Women's & Gender History program at Sarah Lawrence College. It seems cliché to use words like "honored" in times like these, but I am, truly honored and humbled to be published in my first academic journal alongside such a superb group of writers and culture-makers.

That list includes: editors Fiona I.B. Ngô & Elizabeth A. Stinson, Mimi Thi Nguyen, Nia King, Alice Bag, commentary by Osa Atoe, Jasmine Mahmoud, Gigi McGraw, and Lisa Darms. The "Soundtracks" section, with extras and mix tapes, includes Lydia Brawner & Elizabeth Stinson, Mariam Bastani, Iraya Robles, Ceci Moss, Mimi Thi Nguyen, and myself. Still, there are reviews by Joshua Javier Guzmán, Jessica N. Pabón, and Ethan Youngerman.

If you have academic or university access, you can download the issue here. Information is forthcoming about how to obtain a print issue. My mix for the "Soundtracks" section, titled making sure the FREAKY ladies get represented, will appear here, in the form of a Wisdom Tooth mix tape.


No comments:

Post a Comment