7/22/2009

MOVIN' ON UP

While I was on hiatus, a few things happened. My friend Ben's zine Sick: A Compilation Zine on Physical Illness came out a few weeks ago. It's really beautiful and well-done, an articulate and necessary document which many of my good friends contributed to. I read the zine right after my friend had heart surgery and finished it while I was with my Dad, holed up at the hospital. It was really helpful for me during this whirlwind of a summer. If you or anyone you know is dealing with or has dealt with physical illness, especially within DIY/punk/activist communities, I highly reccomend this.

NEXT, in related news, some more of my friends re-released a documentary about the Long Island "DIY punk community" called Between Resistance and Community. I was interviewed along with a number of my girlfriends: Cynthia of Jettison Sister & Zombie Dogs; Carly of Slingshot Dakota; Krista of Carnal Knowledge & Zombie Dogs; Tia of Bridge & Tunnel & Fellow Project -- to talk about what it was like to grow up as a girl in that scene. It's a feature on the DVD. Here's the trailer:


Between Resistance & Community: The Long Island DIY Punk Community on Vimeo.

Next up, my review of the comic Jin & Jam #1, from this month's issue of MRR. The Jodi zines have arrived, appropriately in time with the 2 year anniversary of her passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment